With job opportunities in the UK still difficult to come by, and student fees on the rise as of September this year, alternative career and study choices are becoming increasingly popular. TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) courses are one of these alternative options that are growing in popularity. TEFL courses are seen as an excellent opportunity for teachers who want to further their career abroad and for candidates looking to gain real life experience to add to their CV by combining work and travel.
St Giles International offer English and TEFL courses at their English schools worldwide and have noticed an increase in the number of students enrolling on TEFL courses since job opportunities at home have become harder to come by. This relationship could be due to the fact that job seekers are viewing TEFL courses as a way to secure work both in the UK and abroad in a sector that is always looking for fresh ideas, approaches and workers.
TEFL is not just an excellent opportunity to add experience to your CV, but a great opportunity to explore the world. Not only will teaching abroad mean you visit a country but it also allows you to fully immerse yourself into the local culture while helping to shape a part of the community there. You will meet a host of amazing new people teaching abroad and it can be an extremely positive experience. TEFL courses appeal to anyone with a passion for languages, travel and teaching others. If you have thought of undertaking a TEFL course in the past but may have changed your mind, or are currently thinking about the possibility of enrolling on a TEFL course here are the main reasons we believe you should do so:
- TEFL courses give you the opportunity to work and live in the UK and abroad. With job opportunities restricted, alternative career choices can help you secure a sustainable career either in the UK or abroad.
- Earn money while travelling. Many people would love to travel the world but are put off due to the need to save money before setting off, this doesn’t have to be the case if you can work while abroad.
- Experience different cultures. The main reason people go travelling, if you have a hunger to learn more about the world and would love to fully immerse yourself in a culture there is no better way to do so than to teach in that destinations.
- Learn a new language. While it is not a requirement of a TEFL teacher to know the native language, it can be a helpful skill whilst in the country and further on in life.
- Enhance your CV. If you decide you want to return home at any point, you will have gained valuable life skills and you may have learnt about different cultures.
If you are interested in teaching English as a foreign language the two internationally recognized courses are: CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults ) and CERT. TESOL (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).