Are you planning a snowbird vacation for next winter? You can enjoy the winter sun and activities at a number of locations that will provide you with a pleasurable trip and wonderful memories to take home with you. It is a sensible idea to begin planning your escape to the sunshine well in advance, so that your trip goes smoothly.
If you intend to be away from home for any length of time, you want to be certain that your house will be ready for the winter and will be safe while you are gone.
How to Winterize Your Home
- Turn off water
Make certain that water is turned off at the main source. You may also want to turn on faucets and drain waterlines so that there will be no water left in pipes to freeze while you are away.
- Unplug appliances
Unplug appliances if electricity will be on. This reduces the risk of fires. Empty your refrigerator, and check that cupboards and pantry do not contain any type of perishable items.
- Make it look like someone is home
You will want to make it look as though someone is in the house. Set your lights on timers that will stagger when lamps go on and off, have mail and newspapers either picked up or stopped during your vacation, and make arrangements for a neighbor to shovel snow on your walkway and driveway. These steps give the appearance that someone is home and conducting business as usual.
- Check out homeowners insurance
Check with your homeowners insurance carrier to see what type of coverage will prevail for a house that is left empty for a while.
- Remove trash
Do not leave filled trash bags or garbage cans lying around while you are away. This is an invitation to rodents and other small animals and may indicate to unwanted two-legged invaders that no one is home.
Winter Sun Destinations
Before you get your home ready for the winter, you have the fun of deciding where to go on your winter vacation. Listed below are a few great winter sun destinations.
- Oahu – Here is a beautiful spot that will provide a great deal of sun, surf and excursions.
- St. Martin – In French St. Martin you can enjoy duty-free shopping.
- Miami Beach – Experience the beach and the ocean during the day and great nightlife when the sun goes down.
- Playa del Carmen – This lovely location has sunny beaches and plentiful golf courses.
- Amalfi Coast – Traveling to this Italian locale will provide you with scenic excursions. During the winter months, you will not experience hot temperatures, but the weather will be pleasant, usually with temps no lower than 50 degrees, and you can count on the scenery being breathtaking.
- South Padre Island – If you enjoy water sports, this Texas destination should be on your list of sunny spots for a winter trip.
- Caribbean – Close to the U.S., the Caribbean is perfect for a relaxing winter stay.
There is no need to freeze during the cold winter months. Winterize your home, pack your bags, and head for the sun.
Claire Atkinson writes on behalf of an insurance comparison website. You can get travel insurance quotes for your winter vacation by comparison shopping at Kanetix.