Being a Delhiite is fun! Life always seems to be surrounded with so many good things here. Lip smacking street food, colourful markets, cool hangout places, heritage monuments, upscale cafes- everything is just so amazing.
Delhi as we see it today as the capital of India has seen a glorious past due to which it has attained the kind of status that it enjoys now. The imprints of Mughaliya Sultanate can be seen in Old Delhi which always throngs with buzzing crowds. On the other hand, New Delhi area is stamped all over with the erstwhile presence of British Empire. Due to its rich history and a magnificent present, Delhi receives a large number of tourists and this number goes on swelling year on year.
If you are also planning to visit Delhi and don’t want to miss out on the happening things here then include the following points in your to-do list for sure:
- Sightseeing: This is the top most thing that should appear in your to do list. There are numerous monuments and heritage sights which can leave you spell bound once you visit them. The most famous ones being Red Fort, Qutab Minar, President’s house and India Gate. Also if you have a guide with yourself, insist on knowing the interesting stories attached to these monuments.
- Foodie Tour: For the people who love food, this is undoubtedly the best thing to do in Delhi. Be it the elite restaurants, buzzing coffee shops or roadside street food stalls- everywhere the food served is toothsome. Some of the very famous local snacks are Pani Puri, Aalo Chaat, Bhelpuri, Kathi rolls etc. Fuller meal options include Biryani, Butter Chicken etc.
- Shopping: And you thought that Delhi would miss out on this! Shopaholic alert! Delhi has lot many markets which are famous for one or the other things. For an instance, Sarojini Nagar market is a famous flea market where you could anything ranging from furnishings, cutlery to trendy clothes at very cheap rates. We advise making a budget before you step out to shop will be wise.
- Visiting art galleries and museums: There are many museums in Delhi which are just apt for art lovers and people who want to delve deeper into the history. Museums such as the Indira Gandhi Museum, the Nehru Museum, and National Museum rank as the top museums. National Gallery of Modern Art appeals to the people who love to admire art.
- Rickshaw ride: Rickshaw rides in Delhi are very enjoyable as rickshaw pullers go through narrow streets dogging the heavy traffic jams. Although a little bumpy but a ride becomes fun when you want to go through a market swiftly. To put to use, very short distances which can’t be covered by a walk can be covered by a rickshaw ride.
- Events and Fests: Places like Delhi Haat which is just a stone’s throw away from INA metro station can be of great interest to the outsiders because here the cultural treats of India are beautifully presented. There are fests and fairs organised in Delhi Haat about which you can get to know from your travel agent. Also certain upscale exhibitions hosted at India Habitat Centre, India International Centre and the likes are quite interesting to witness.
- Walk through the streets: Just like that you could go for a walk in the local streets of Delhi. Observing the people, their culture, habits will be a fun exploration to do. You would notice there is a certain kind of a lingo that Delhi people use if you understand Hindi.
- Soul searching: Delhi has plenty of religious places of worship. Gurudwara Bangla Sahib is Sikh place of worship, Laxmi Narayan Temple for the Hindus, Lotus Temple for Baha’i faith people, Akshardham Temple, Kalkaji Temple etc. Apart from this Nizamuddin Dargah deserves a special mention as you could sit and just listen the soul touching Qawwalis.
If you include all these things in your to do list, we are sure that you are going to enjoy your Delhi tour to your fullest satisfaction. What you’ll take back is lot many cherishable memories home!