The land of glitz and glamor and traditional souks and abra – that is what Dubai is all about. From the majestic Burj Khalifa to the luxurious shopping malls selling high-end brands , Dubai has a lot to offer for one and all. One would hardly come across a travel enthusiast who has not set his foot on this magnificent city. Being a must visit place 0n every traveler’s bucket list, there is no dearth of hotels and resorts in this city. From the budget friendly hotel apartments to the high end and luxurious hotels like Atlantis, the city has something for one and all. But before you book your hotel in Dubai for your next vacation, there are certain things that you should keep in mind.
- Location of the hotel: If you are visiting Dubai for vacation and would like to explore the entire city, then it would be advisable to book a hotel in the downtown area. This includes the area from Business Bay to the Financial Center. This way you will have easy access to public transport like taxi, bus and metro. Metro service is available from Business Bay, Burj Khalifa and Financial Center metro stations. Dubai Taxi is available on call. You can also hire a taxi plying on the road. Taxi service can be expensive for tourist if you are staying on one side of the city. But if you consider the downtown area to be expensive, then you can explore the various hotel apartments in Bur Dubai area which provides the same facilities as hotels. Moreover, you will also have easy access to public transport.
- Type of hotel: Dubai being a top tourist destination has all types of hotel, from budget friendly to star hotels. You can select the type of hotel on the basis of your budget and personal requirements. Even though the majority of star hotels in Dubai are family friendly ones with crib on demand, refrigerator and other recreational facilities for kids, it may or may not be pet friendly. So if you are planning to travel with your pet, make sure that you check with the hotel beforehand itself. Similarly, if you have any special needs and require any additional facilities, then also you should check with the hotel. Most of the hotels in Dubai are wheelchair friendly, but it may or may not have the facility for other types of disabilities like visual and hearing aid.
- Fees charged by the hotel: Apart from the room tariff, hotels in Dubai also charge service fee on the total bill amount. In addition to this, hotels are also authorized by the Dubai government to charge “Tourism fee” to finance 2020 expo. This charge may vary from DHS 7 to DHS 20 depending on the type of hotel. Even though wi-fi facility is available in all hotels in Dubai, some may charge extra for availing this facility. Hence, before making the reservation, you should clearly check as to what all charges are included in the room tariff.
- Deals/ discounts: In order to attract tourists and even residents, most of the hotels and resorts in Dubai offer deals or discounts. This can be in the form of a discount on room tariff or complimentary stay for one person or complimentary city tour. This ensures guaranteed savings on hotels. Sites like Groupon and Cobone has regular deals on hotel bookings. Make sure that you check these sites before making a booking. Some hotels even provide seasonal discounts like summer offer,the details of which will be available in their websites. Similarly, most of the hotels in Dubai offer complimentary breakfast. If it is not included in the package you can ask for that.
- Customer loyalty programs/ Rewards: If you are a regular visitor to Dubai, you should take advantage of the customer loyalty programs provided by various hotels. Few of the well known loyalty programs available in Dubai are the Rotana Rewards, Sirius points from the Jumeirah group and the priority club reward from IHG group. The points earned on these programs can be used to redeem against hotel stay, complimentary dining or discount on beverages.
- Reviews: Before zeroing in on a particular hotel or resort, you should check the review about the hotel in online portals. Tripadvisor is the best site for hotel reviews. You should pay attention to the details about the room, the service of the hotel and the dining facilities. Or if you have any friends/ relatives staying in Dubai you can seek their help to know more about the hotel. After all you do not want to spend a huge amount for useless service.
Though Dubai is considered to be one of the most expensive tourist destinations of the world, it need not be so if careful planning is done right from booking the hotel. Keeping the above tips in mind will definitely help you in saving a decent amount on your next vacation.
This article is written by Susan Johns, a Dubai based freelance writer. She represents Mymobilityhub, a community for the disabled, that also provides information about hotels around the world that are disabled friendly.